11 August 2009

A Family Of Rednecks

I'm not sure my husband knew what he'd married into until this past weekend. And unfortunately I was too busy at the beer wagon to pull out my camera to capture the Kodak moments. So you'll have to use your imagination a little...

My cousin just bought a house. He's a single 25 year old (any single ladies out there for this stud?). Mark is one of the nicest guys I've ever met, and honestly... he's a big ole teddy bear.

So as a house warming party, he decided to have a hog roast. For those of you who've never been to a hog roast, think along these lines:


Yes, the whole darn pig roasted over an open fire for 14 hours or so.

Anyway... what goes best with a hog roast? That's right - beer. And lots of it. So we pull up to my cousin's house to be greeted by this:

Much of the evening is spent chatting with the relatives and friends. Chowin down on the yummy pulled pork and all the homemade sides to go with it (think hashbrown casserole, greenbeans, pies, cookies, brownies, etc.)

And did I mention Mark has a pool in the back yard? Yeah, nice party spot for a single guy. So while we were getting ready to hit the pool (around 9 or so) and the ladies were all cleaning up the dishes, we found an OVERSIZED bottle of Jagermeister in Mark's freezer - with a pump on top. Perfect!

Next thing I know, Grandma's sipping the Jagermeister... cuz it accidentally pumped out and we couldn't let it go to waste. Well, we told her she couldn't sip it, we had to shoot it!


After a few rounds of Jagermeister shots with Grandma, we hit the pool. And on the radio was a little David Allen Coe - You Don't Have To Call Me Darlin, Garth Brooks - Friends In Low Places (obviously), and then came the one I'd never heard before...

Trailer Choir - Rockin' The Beer Gut (I can't find the lyrics or a video to link due to stupid Websense... but check it out, seriously it's about a woman.)

So we rocked out in the pool, drunk, in the dark, and had a blast until around 2am. And on the way home, my husband turned to me - hangover and all - and said, "Wow... hog roasts are fun! We should do that more often!" My reply was, "Just wait til Grandma's birthday next year... That'll be one hellofa bash!"

Great party, Mark. Thanks!

2 comments:

  1. Ya know if hungover after the party ends, it was one heck of a party.

    Love pig roasts, but never heard of hashbrown casserole - sounds yummy...

    Your cousin sounds like he knows how to throw a party.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! I wouldn't have guessed this is how you spent your weekend in a million years. I'm sort of shocked, here, girl! I'll admit it sounds like fun, and Grandma is cracking me up with the shots. I have one problem with this though ... WHY are the women cleaning up the dishes? Are the men in your family somehow without hands?

    ReplyDelete