02 June 2009

The Indian Star

When I was growing up, we could walk to the grocery store for candy from my house. It was only a block or two and at the age of 6 we were able to go alone. Mom stood out on the front porch and watched that we made it there. Then she waited while we walked around the store looking for stuff, and picking out our candy, and then she watched as we walked home.

And we always got the grape flavored Tootsie Roll Pops.

Now, as a kid, everything grape was the way to go. Grape Kool-Aid. Grape Jolly Ranchers. Grape Jelly. And Grape Tootsie Roll Pops. Anything to leave your tongue purple.

We always got the grape ones from the candy rack at the grocery store most of all for the wrapper.

As legend goes, if your grape Tootsie Roll Pop wrapper had an indian shooting a star on it, you'd get a free Tootsie Roll Pop. (I know, the pic isn't a grape wrapper but I couldn't find one online.)


We'd get home and eat the Tootsie Pop but then head right back to the grocery store for our free one. It wasn't unusal to see a stack of wrappers sitting on the kitchen counter... all grape, and all with the indian and star.

It wasn't until later... much later... that I realized EVERY grape sucker had the indian and star on it. And only recently, did I realize it's not just the grape wrappers.

So today, my friend dropped off a grape Tootsie Roll Pop at my desk. And as I was eating it, I of course looked for the indian and star on the wrapper... and there it was, just like it was in the 80s.

I did a bit of research and found out... it's all a Tootsie Roll Pop Legend! Go here for details.

The grocery stores weren't supposed to honor the free Tootsie Pop... Thank goodness for Phyllis at the corner grocery store. She made my childhood out of free Tootsie Pops.

No comments:

Post a Comment